From StargateWiki
Revision as of 09:26, 16 March 2010 by Aurora (talk | contribs) (add seasons 3- end of series)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The First SG-2 Celebrates a Victory on Chulak


SG-2 was one of the original nine units formed in the pilot episode, 1.02 "Children Of The Gods Part 2".

Season One

When the threat of the Goa'uld was made apparent when Apophis and his Jaffa attacked the SGC, the Stargate Program was reactivated under the leadership of Major General George Hammond. After conferring with the President of the United States, Gen. Hammond was authorized to set up nine Stargate teams to conduct missions to other planets and establish allies and obtain technology which would aid in the protection of Earth, mostly from the threat of the Goa'uld. SG-1 and SG-2 were both established as teams of three members. The first SG-2 consisted of the following personnel:

The first mission which SG-2 went on was with SG-1 to the planet Chulak, one of the planets ruled by the Goa'uld System Lord Apophis. Chulak was where Apophis based his Jaffa and where priests served him. SG-1 and SG-2 were in pursuit of Apophis because he had kidnapped Sha're and Skaara from their homeworld Abydos. During the evacuation of the refugees from the planet, Casey was injured and Kawalsky was taken as a host to an immature Goa'uld symbiote. (1.02 "Children Of The Gods Part 2")

Kawalsky subsequently died as a result of becoming the unwilling host of the Goa'uld symbiote (1.03 "The Enemy Within") and command of SG-2 was given to Maj. Louis Ferretti (1.22 "Within The Serpent's Grasp Part 1").

After Daniel Jackson returned from an alternate reality (1.20 "There But For The Grace Of God") and warned the rest of the SGC about the imminent attack planned by Apophis and Klorel, SG-1 disobeyed orders which had been issued that the Stargate Program was to be discontinued because its costs could not be justified (1.21 "Politics") and went through the stargate to the coordinates Daniel had determined was Apophis' base. SG-2 was about to retrieve an AWOL SG-1, but the stargate would not lock onto the coordinates and the mission was aborted. Fortunately, SG-1 was successful in destroying the attacking ships and returned home safely (2.01 "The Serpent's Lair Part 2").

Seasons Two through Four

Major Coburn, commander SG-2

SG-2 became commanded by Major Coburn. When Bra'tac provided information about the mythical "Kheb" where Daniel Jackson believed Amaunet had taken Sha're's child, SG-2 provided backup to SG-1 in reconnaissance of the planet (3.20 "Maternal Instinct"). SG-2 was to guard the Stargate and check-in every thirty minutes while SG-1 and Bra'tac explored. When it looked like Jaffa were attacking the temple, O'Neill ordered SG-2 to return to the SGC and request backup. By the time SG-2 returned, Oma Desala had destroyed the attacking Jaffa and was heading away with the harcesis child. Coburn saw the strange glowing object heading towards them and reported to O'Neill, who ordered them to lower weapons and not impede the being's progress.

Pierce (left) and Rothman on P3X-888

SG-2, still commanded by Major Coburn was assigned to assist SG-1 in the search and rescue for Dr. Daniel Jackson, taken captive by an aboriginal Unas, Chaka, on P3X-888 (4.08 "The First Ones"). Coburn and one other member of SG-2 remained to secure the Stargate while Capt. Griff and Maj. Pierce went with Dr. Rothman and SG-1 to find SG-11 and Daniel Jackson. They found the leader of SG-11, Major Hawkins, but it turned out he had been taken over by an aboriginal Goa'uld, as had Robert Rothman at some point. When SG-1 discovered this, during the firefight both Hawkins and Rothman were killed, and Capt. Griff of SG-2 was wounded. Pierce and Griff stayed behind to bury the casualties while SG-1 continued on the rescue mission for Jackson. Coburn was notified of the danger of Goa'uld symbiotes via radio.

Major Griff, new commander

Later, Griff was promoted to major and became commander of SG-2. When SG-1 was missing on P3R-118, SG-2 went on the search and rescue mission (4.10 "Beneath the Surface"). After searching everywhere on the glacier Administrator Calder insisted SG-1 had explored, SG-2 returned to base and insisted that there were no traces of SG-1 and off the record, told Hammond Calder was "a damned liar". Hammond ordered Griff to come up with a covert search and rescue mission within the domed city to find SG-1, but SG-1 was able to escape from the underground mines where Calder kept them brainwashed and imprisoned before SG-2 returned to P3R-118.

SG-2 later "babysat" a team of scientists at a Stargate Command research base on M4C-862 (4.19 "Prodigy"). Griff and the lead scientist, Dr. Hamilton, were constantly at odds, especially when Hamilton chafed against the military restrictions. It was with some relief Griff and SG-2 were replaced by SG-1 in guarding the scientists. SG-2 left before the scientists' fateful encounter with the dangerous indigenous life forms.

Seasons Five and Six

SG-2 preparing to leave on mission

SG-2 was scheduled to go on a recon mission to P4C-796 when Teal'c's "energy pattern" got stuck in the wormhole buffer on SG-1's return from P3X-116 (5.14 "48 Hours"). They were to be the first to use the Stargate after the forty-eight hour window the Pentagon imposed to save Teal'c. After Col. Simmons's relationship with the rogue NID was exposed, that timeline was pushed back. Presumably SG-2 went on their scheduled mission after Teal'c was successfully recovered from the Stargate.

When the SGC realized the android SG-1 discovered on a barren planet was actually affiliated with replicators, SG-2 was sent to K'Tau to try and contact the Asgard (5.19 "Menace"). Their calls went unanswered until after the replicators and the android Reese were destroyed.

SG-2 and Jonas Quinn explored P36-231 (6.09 "Allegiance"). They were returning to the SGC with artifacts at the time the Tok'ra's base in the Risa system was being attacked by Anubis. Because the SGC Stargate was therefore busy, Jacob Carter was forced to dial the Alpha Site instead as an evacuation destination.

Seasons Seven and Eight

Penhall & O'Neill
SG-2 in battle

SG-2 came with SG-3 and SG-1 on a mission to Erebus, where they believed Bra'tac and Rya'c were being held prisoner (7.04 "Orpheus"). While SG-3 guarded the Stargate, SG-2 and SG-1 snuck up on the encampment. Penhall of SG-2 traded weapons at O'Neill's request. While Sam Carter and Daniel Jackson created a distraction by sabotaging a partially built ha'tak, SG-2 and O'Neill set up an perimeter on the ridge above the camp and attacked on the signal. They successfully freed all the Jaffa prisoners.

SG-2, apparently with SG-3, did an initial survey of the colonnade on P3X-439 (7.21 "Lost City Part 1"). SG-2 and SG-3 also encountered a Goa'uld Reconnaissance Drone, so they knew Anubis was likely aware of the planet as well. They brought back pictures of the Ancient writings on the ruins for Daniel Jackson to translate. Daniel's studies revealed that the monument likely contained a Repository of Knowledge, which may include listing the location of the Lost City. Knowing time was off the essence, SG-1, SG-3, and SG-5 made a return trip to the planet.

Before President Henry Hayes was to visit newly installed SGC commander General O'Neill, SG-2 returned from a mission to P8F-809 (8.04 "Zero Hour"). They were scheduled for a debriefing with O'Neill at 0830 five days before the visit.


Episodes Referenced in Article

Related Characters

Related Articles


-- Seasons 1-2 DeeKayP 20:13, 25 Dec 2004 (PST)
-- Seasons 3-10 Aurora 16:26, 16 March 2010 (UTC)