SGU 2.17 "Common Descent" Episode Guide
Attacking drones return when the Destiny tries to recharge in a star. Eli proposes a risky alternative, which requires the rest of the crew to gate to a nearby planet for safety, where they find an abandoned city.
Guide | Transcript
MGM/Syfy.com Official Summary
Official summary is not available as this episode has not yet aired in the United States.
Shooting: 9/29 - 10/13
[YAOZU] (55-65) Male or Female. This philosophical world wearied village elder has been cut off from his/her home planet for decades and holds out hope for the return of his/her people to their former home. (Please submit Asian, Eurasian, Indian, and Native American actors). Recurring.
[JASON] (20-25) This somewhat naïve and idealistic villager has known no other planet than the one he lives on, and looks to the future with more optimism than their elders. (Please submit all ethnicities, with emphasis on exotic, culturally mixed actors). Recurring.
[ELLIE] (20-25) This somewhat naïve and idealistic villager has known no other planet than the one she lives on, and looks to the future with more optimism than her elders. (Please submit all ethnicities, with emphasis on exotic, culturally mixed actors). Recurring.
From Audition Sides:
NOTE: Names have been changed in the sides, so it is uncertain who the Destiny characters really are. It is also possible that ELLIE, JASON, and YAOZU are also temporary names for these new and recurring characters.
- A team from Destiny uses the Stargate to a planet and are greeted by ELLIE and JASON, two young people who surprisingly speak English! ELLIE and JASON recognize two of the team members, saying that they have been dead thousands of years. ELLIE and JASON refer to a "testament" that says that one day that Destiny might return.
- One of Destiny's crewmembers refers to "the other me" in trying to figure out this situation. Someone must have traveled back in time.
- ELLIE and JASON are descendants of those who were stranded on this planet after they left their homeworld NOVAS exploring through the Stargate. The Stargate no longer connects to NOVAS. NOVAS was founded by the Destiny crew 2000 years ago.
- ELLIE and JASON and YAOZU are taken on a tour of Destiny that leads them into the 'gate room. They turn to their escorts and ask if it would be possible for them to go to NOVAS so that they and their people can return home. ELLIE and JASON don't know NOVAS because their people were stranded before they were born, but YAOZU does remember.
- After being cut off from NOVAS, the stranded people are barely surviving, since they were depending on supplies and other support through the Stargate.
- YAOZU is the same name as one of the Destiny crew's father.
- One of the Destiny's crew with the title "Dr." has been demonized in the traditions of the NOVAS colony. Stories among the "less enlightened" state that he "rips souls" from people's bodies and takes them to hell to suffer forever.
- Also included in the NOVAS colonists are Betty, Landon, and Abigale.
- Robert Carlyle as Dr. Nicholas Rush
- Louis Ferreira as Col. Everett Young
- Brian J. Smith as 1st Lt. Matthew Scott
- Elyse Levesque as Chloe Armstrong
- David Blue as Eli Wallace
- Alaina Huffman as 1st Lt. Tamara Johansen
- Jamil Walker Smith as MSgt. Ronald Greer
- Stargate Universe: Season Two
- Previous: SGU 2.16 "The Hunt" Episode Guide
- Next: SGU 2.18 "Epilogue" Episode Guide
- "Today, we had a discussion of Rob’s new story that eventually devolved into a heated debate about gate travel, subspace sensors, and Swiss Family Robinson. Don’t ask." — Joseph Mallozzi, June 1, 2010
- "The rest of the day was spent yakking about Carl’s first draft of Hope, episode #14, my outline for The Hunt, episode #16, and whether or not Radio, episode #18, still worked given the preceding episode." — Joseph Mallozzi, June 25, 2010
- "201: Intervention, 202: Aftermath, 203: Awakening, 204: Pathogen, 205: Cloverdale, 206: Trial and Error, 207: The Greater Good, 208: Malice, 209: Visitation, 210: Resurgence, 211: Deliverance, 212: Twin Destinies, 213: Alliances, 214: Hope, 215: Seizure, 216: The Hunt, 217: (Rob’s script), 218: (Carl’s script), 219: Blockade, 220: Gauntlet. Yep. All we need are a couple of titles." — Joseph Mallozzi, July 10, 2010
- "We called up Rob and gave him notes on his final script of the season, episode #217, Common Descent." — Joseph Mallozzi, August 20, 2010
--DeeKayP 02:14, 11 July 2010 (UTC)