Official MGM Bio
Michael Shanks plays Daniel Jackson, a scientist instrumental to the SG-1 team because of his vast knowledge of past ancient civilizations and mythology. After having ascended to a higher plane of existence in a previous episode, Daniel returns in the dramatic season 7 premiere. Found by a group of nomadic tribe near the ruins of an ancient city, Daniel has no memory of who he is.
Back by popular demand, this season, Michael Shanks returns to the role of Daniel Jackson, which he portrayed for the show's first five seasons.
The younger of two brothers, Shanks was born in Vancouver and raised in Kamloops, British Columbia. He discovered acting while studying business at the University of British Columbia. Needing a few arts credits to earn his degree, Shanks decided to take several acting classes. It was at this point Shanks realized he had indeed found his true passion in acting. After he finished college with a B.A. in Fine Arts, Shanks traveled to Ontario, Canada, where he spent two seasons with the world-renowned Stratford Shakespeare Festival. Shanks appeared in stage productions of Amadeus, Macbeth, The Merry Wives of Windsor, King Lear and The Merchant of Venice. His other theater credits include Love of the Nightingale, Translations, Wait Until Dark and Loves Labors Lost.
In addition to Stargate SG-1, Shanks has guest starred in a number of television series, including Andromeda, The Outer Limits, Highlander, The Commish, University Hospital and the Canadian series Madison. His television movie credits include A Family Divided and the miniseries Eye Level. Shanks also appeared in the motion picture Call of the Wild with Rutger Hauer.
Away from set, Shanks likes to roller blade, windsurf, ski and play hockey. He is actively involved with several charities, including the ASPCA and the Veteran's Association.
Solutions has an extensive biography and filmography of Michael Shanks here. It covers his life and career to the point that he returned to Stargate.
Michael Shanks is married to actress Lexa Doig, formerly of Andromeda and now a recurring guest star on Stargate: SG-1. He has a daughter, Tatiana, with former partner, actress Vaitiare Bandera (Sha're). He and Doig have a daughter, Mia, and a son, Samuel.
His current charity of choice is the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada.
Dr. Daniel Jackson
- Dr. Daniel Jackson Seasons 1-5, and Seasons 7-10.
- Guest star in Season 6 (as Daniel Jackson, the Ascended Being)
Stargate SG-1 Movies
- SGU 1.01 "Air Part 1" (in orientation videos)
- SGU 1.14 "Human" (as a figment of Dr. Rush's imagination)
- SGU 1.18 "Subversion"
- Voice of Thor
- 2.18 "Holiday" (as Ma'chello)
- 7.06 "Lifeboat" (not credited: as Martice, Keenin, and Tryan)
- 7.11 "Evolution Part 1" :: story with Damian Kindler :: teleplay by Damian Kindler
- 7.19 "Resurrection"
- 2009: Won a Leo Award for Best Lead Performance by a Male in a Feature Length Drama for the movie Stargate: Continuum
- 2005: Nominated for a Leo Award for Best Lead Performance by a Male for the episode 8.18 "Threads"
- 2005: Nominated for a Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actor in a Television Series
- 2004: Won a Leo Award as Best Leading Actor in a Television Series for the episode 7.06 "Lifeboat"
- 2004: Nominated for a Saturn Award as Best Lead Actor in a Television Series
- 2003: Nominated for a Leo Award for Best Male Guest Performance for the episode 6.06 "Abyss"
- 2001: Nominated for a Saturn Award as Best Supporting Actor on Television
- 2000: Nominated for a Leo Award as Best Performance by a Male in a Dramatic Series for the episode 3.10 "Forever In A Day"
News and Interviews
- MGM Official Website: Search Results for "Michael+Shanks"
- Solutions Biography and Filmography
- Save Daniel Jackson
- Official Website: Michael Shanks Online
- Michael Shanks: Sexiest Man
- Unofficial Michael Shanks (not recently updated)
- MS Society of Canada