SGA 4.17 "Midway" Episode Guide
Teal'c goes to Atlantis to mentor Ronon ahead of an IOA review to determine his suitability for the Stargate program. Meanwhile, the Wraith kick-start a plot against the Midway Station.
Guide | Transcript
MGM/SciFi.com Official Summary
A close-minded new member of the International Oversight Advisory, Mr. Coolidge, orders all alien members of the Stargate Program to report to Earth for individual interviews. Fearing that Ronon — who lacks Teyla's diplomatic skills — might tear Coolidge's head off, Carter invites her old SG–1 teammate, Teal'c, to visit Atlantis and offer Ronon some warrior-to-warrior tips on how to cope with obnoxious Earth bureaucrats.
Ronon — confident that he can stay cool, and insulted that anyone would think otherwise — brushes Teal'c off. One epic sparring match later, nothing has changed. With Ronon still disdaining Teal'c's help, the two men depart for Earth via the intergalactic 'gate bridge.
Drs. Lee and Kavanagh greet the duo at the Midway Station, halfway between the Pegasus and Milky Way galaxies, where all travelers must endure a 24-hour quarantine. Then the 'gate activates and a troop of Wraith invade the station.
As Wraith warriors fight Ronon and Teal'c, the Wraith commander and a Wraith scientist seize Midway's control room. The scientist dials Earth and sends a mysterious device through the 'gate to Stargate Command. When a horde of Wraith attackers follows the device through the 'gate to Earth, Ronon and Teal'c finally find themselves in total agreement. As one, they race through the Stargate, pursuing the Wraith.
All of Stargate Command's personnel have been knocked unconscious by the Wraith device. Alone, Ronon and Teal'c battle the invaders, corridor by corridor. In one room, they find Coolidge, groggy but reviving. Refusing to trust Teal'c and Ronon to defeat the Wraith, the bureaucrat calls in a nuclear strike on the base to end the incursion, then makes a cowardly retreat to an escape hatch. If Stargate Command and its unconscious personnel are to be saved, it's up to the two alien warriors to do it.
Back in Atlantis, McKay and Carter discover that Midway is under attack. With a team of Marines, Sheppard and McKay 'gate to the station and battle the remaining Wraith. They retake the control room, where McKay and his fellow scientists struggle to regain access to the station's computers.
Wraith reinforcements arrive, pitting Sheppard and the Marines against an overwhelming onslaught. Soon, Sheppard is the only human left alive outside the control room. Then Kavanagh, working at McKay's side, triggers a Wraith booby-trap that activates the station's self-destruct mechanism.
With nothing left to lose, Sheppard orders McKay to vent the atmosphere from the entire station except the control room. The Wraith collapse, dying of asphyxiation — and Sheppard begins to perish along with them.
The battle is over, but with Sheppard presumed dead, the self-destruct counting down and an attack on Earth underway, McKay feels anything but victorious.
Modified by Solutions.
- Joe Flanigan as Lt. Col. John Sheppard
- Amanda Tapping as Col. Samantha Carter
- Rachel Luttrell as Teyla Emmagan
- Jason Momoa as Ronon Dex
- and David Hewlett as Dr. Rodney McKay
- Christopher Judge as Teal'c
- Rob LaBelle as Mr. Coolidge
- Bill Dow as Dr. Bill Lee
- Scott Heindl as Wraith Commander
- Ben Cotton as Dr. Kavanagh
- Brendan Penny as Wraith
- Gary Jones as Sgt. Walter Harriman
- Toren Atkinson as Dempster
- Chuck Campbell as Chuck
- Nickolas Baric as Hester
- James Chutter as Wraith Scientist
- International Oversight Advisory (IOA)
- Midway Space Station
- Stargate Command (SGC) Base
- Season Four Episode Guides
- Episode Guides
- Season Four Transcripts
- Previous: SGA 4.16 "Trio" Episode Guide
- Next: SGA 4.18 "The Kindred Part 1" Episode Guide
- Solutions On-Site Forum: Season Four Discussion Board
- Solutions News and Spoiler Blog
- Stargate Screencaps: Season Four
- There will be an SG-1 crossover episode, but when asked if Michael Shanks as Daniel Jackson will be included, Mallozzi responded, "It’s possible but we have another actor in mind for the big crossover episode that Carl will be writing." (Joseph Mallozzi's April 15 blog)
- "And Carl has started work on the relationships episode. He’ll be moving onto the cross-over episode once he’s done." (Joseph Mallozzi's May 7 blog)
- "We start the spinning. There’s the other Earth-based episode Joe F. pitched out. The return-of-that-character two-parter with its Fargo-esque first part, the big team-up eppy, and the puzzle piece." (Joseph Mallozzi's June 1 blog)
- "Carl has finished revising Quarantine and already has an outline in place for Midway." Most probably this refers to the Midway Space Station (we're currently assuming the title "Midway" applies to this particular episode). As far as which SG-1 characters will be present in the "big crossover", there are no plans to bring Ben Browder or Claudia Black into Season Four. (Joseph Mallozzi's June 8 blog)
- Concerning which SG-1 character will be crossing over, "Will let you know once his deal has been closed." (Joseph Mallozzi's June 18 blog)
- "Today, we gave Alan notes on his outline, discussed Midway, and had a very brief discussion of Martin’s next episode which we should start breaking tomorrow. That will leave three scripts to be written when we get back: the Joe F. story, Paul’s season finale idea, and the empty slot." (Joseph Mallozzi's June 18 blog)
- "After taking time off to do a little fishing, Carl is heavy into Midway. It’ll be great to finally see the big men spar. It’ll also be nice to have Kavanagh back. Unfortunately, he won’t find his return quite as enjoyable." (Joseph Mallozzi's July 12 blog)
- "Carl managed to put out his Final Draft of Midway (Final Draft being a misnomer really since he’ll be revising that sucker between now and about two days after it’s been shot)." (Joseph Mallozzi's July 25 blog)
- "Stages 1-3 (the puddle jumper, a section of new Midway set, the gimbled set for Trio, the Daedalus/Apollo bridge and its various corridors)." (Joseph Mallozzi's August 6 blog)
- "Midway is looking big, Big, BIG! Oh, and BamBam [James Bamford, stunt and fight coordinator] has been working on that sparring scene for weeks." (Joseph Mallozzi's August 15 blog)
- "Of course by the time I got outside, I happened across a practice sparring session [between Jason Momoa and Christopher Judge] being serenaded by a clearly-down-on-his-luck street musician [Joe Flanigan on his guitar] and had to snap some more pics." (Joseph Mallozzi's August 16 blog)
- Concerning Christopher Judge's appearances: "He’ll make a cameo in Reunion and put in a full appearance in Midway." (Joseph Mallozzi's August 27 blog)
- There are behind-the-scene pictures that include Christopher Judge, Ben Cotton, Bill Dow, and Gary Jones in Joseph Mallozzi's blog entries for August 26 and 28.
- "... we did manage to sit down and watch a Day 1 Mix of Midway. Damn fine episode. Teal’c and Ronon kick mucho wraith ass - when they’re not beating the crap out of each other." (Joseph Mallozzi's November 23 blog)
- "We came very close to scrapping Midway when it looked like it was going to be too expensive to produce - but ultimately found a way to make it happen. Good thing too. It’s an excellent episode." — Joseph Mallozzi in his personal blog, February 8, 2008.
- Joseph Mallozzi's Blog
- Alex Levine's scifi.com blog, February 15, 2008.
- TV Guide Online: Christopher Judge Previews His Return to Stargate!, February 15, 2008.
- Solutions: SGA "Midway: Beyond Finding the Middle Ground, February 16, 2008.
- MGM: Behind the Scenes: Midway (Part 1), February 19, 2008.
- MGM: Behind the Scenes: Midway (Part 2), February 20, 2008.
--DeeKayP 19:57, 13 August 2007 (PDT)